Often we recognize markers we love but know little about them. This lovely original watercolor, circa 1940’s, depicts the Place de la Concorde with the Obelisk of Luxor which once marked the entrance to the Luxor Temple. It was a gift to Charles X and France in 1831.
This 3,300 year old specimen arrived in 1833 and was put in place by King Louis-Phillipe in 1836. The pedestal reflects diagrams depicting exactly how it was transported – all 250 tons of it! Missing its original cap believed stolen in the 6th century BC, it was replaced by a gold-leafed “pyramidion” cap designed by the French government in 1998.
With the swift disappearance of valuable monuments these days, it seems more important than ever to value them even when preserved in artwork.
Only 22 Egyptian obelisks remain in the world…this one can be yours! Now, that’s romantic!
Keep up with us on
Or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org