Impressions of California: Early Currents in Art 1850-1930
Hardcover, First Edition
An overview of art in the Golden State, Impressions of California surveys eight years of painting, from San Francisco to San Diego, from the High Sierra to the Laguna shore.
The companion volume to the first public-television series to document California art from 1850 to 1930, this book is filled with beautiful paintings that chronicle changing views of nature in an era of optimism.
The story begins with the first professional painters to arrive in the mid-19th century, whose scenes of California wilderness became popular at home and " back East" and draws to a close with the last of a generation of aoutdoor painters, whose canvases capture the light and air of their beloved land and are much sought after today. From huge panoramas of the Yosemite Valley to intimately scaled views of bonneted ladies relaxing in their backyards, Impressions of California provides pictures of times past and places now changed, revealing both the history of California painting and the changing look of the landscape.
Irvine Museum; First Edition edition (1996)
10.4 x 8.9 x 0.6 inches
1.Tax not included in the sale price
2. For local purchases, delivery and hanging services available
3. We accept payment via check or credit card ( additional 3% fee applies on credit card charges)
4. Shipping and Handling costs determined per piece
5. Domestic shipping via FedEx Ground
6. All sales are final. In certain cases, store credit may apply